Madison Avenue

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Powder Room Makeover

A few weeks ago, I painted my downstairs half bath. It went from a pastel blue to an aqua color. I had planned to paint it a darker teal color and decorate in teal and white, but when I went to buy the paint, I just couldn't commit to the darker color and chose a lighter one. The actual color is "Jamaica Bay" by Behr and it's a very pretty beachy color. 


I had a gift card to Target so I went to pick out a new rug and hand towels. I still had in mind an aqua/white theme so I picked out a new rug. Then we went an aisle farther and my daughter found a different rug that we both fell in love with. 


When we saw the matching hand towels, I just loved all the colors. They had such a "beachy" feel without being a "beachy" theme, and if you know me, you know my love of all things pink so this was the perfect combination. I put the other rug back (that I didn't "really" like so much anyway) and bought this rug and towels, which became my color inspiration for new wall art. 


I know I'm going to regret having a mainly white rug in there, but it sure is pretty right now. :) So then it was off to my craft closet to make something for the walls to replace the stuff that no longer matched! 

I found this phrase in the Silhouette store and thought it was a good  neutral bathroom phrase. I had a canvas that I had previously painted pink and then never used, so I thought it would look good on that. I cut the words from different colored vinyl, trying to match the colors in the towel as well as I could with the vinyl I had on hand. I didn't have a grey, so instead I used white, and colored the letters with a silver Sharpie.


I'd been wanting to try some stenciling so I found some dahlias in the Silhouette store (inspiration from Pinterest!) and used contact paper as a stencil to paint them on smaller canvases.  It was quite frustrating and took a couple of tries, but I finally got them looking pretty good. And now that I've conquered stenciling, I may never do it again!


I'm still working on some more things to put in there, but for now, I love the colors and the way the wall looks!



Thanks for stopping by! Come back again and see what other crafty things I'm up to!


 photo BlogSignature_zpsjpf5glhd.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!